Vicenza Army Health Center
Skip Navigation, go to content

ACCESS TO CARE External Link, Opens in New Window
(TRICARE link)



PDF File, Opens in New Window




GET FIT! External Link, Opens in New Window

ICE External Link, Opens in New Window



ONLINE APPOINTMENTExternal Link, Opens in New Window





Facebook Link

This healthcare treatment facility has earned the Gold Seal of Approval from The Joint Commission, a nationally recognized healthcare accreditation organization. Click the Gold Seal to see The Joint Commission's Quality Report for Landstuhl Regional Medical Center and its outlying health clinics in Germany, Belgium and Italy.

The Joint Commission

Patients may contact The Joint Commission Customer Support office at (630) 792-5800 or through their website.

Frequently Asked Questions

Labor and Delivery
Patient Liaisons
Patient Representative
Social Work Services


EDIS is composed of two separate services: Early Intervention Services (EIS) and Related Services (RS).

Early Intervention Services:

What is EDIS?

Early Intervention Services provides information, support and services to families when there is concern about how their infant or toddler is developing. Services can be provided in the home, the EDIS clinic, the Child Development Center, and other locations of the parents' choice. Families may seek EIS services for any concern in children's development, learning, and behavior, including, but not limited to: language, vision, hearing, motor skills, attention span, behavioral difficulties, emotional issues, feeding, sleeping, crying, play skills, and medical problems that impact development.

Who Qualifies?

All children of military and civilian personnel who are eligible for DoDDS enrollment as space required, non-tuition paying students when they become school age. This includes individuals in the Ghedi, Livorno (Camp Darby), Verona, and Vicenza communities. The EIS staff visits these areas outlying communities as needed.

How do you obtain services?

Parents are encouraged to contact EDIS directly, either in person or by phone. Physicians may refer by requesting a consultation through the CHCS system.

Related Services:

What is RS?

Medically Related Services support the Department of Defense Dependent Schools (DoDDS) special education program. EDIS Related Service providers offer a variety of services to students, families and teachers with the purpose of assisting the students in obtaining their individual educational goals.

How do you obtain services?

Families should contact their child's classroom teacher regarding educational concerns. For educational and developmental concerns for children between the ages of 3 and 5 years, the Child Find Coordinator at the local DoDD School is the point of contact.


Laboratory FAQ

How do I get my lab results?

Results of laboratory tests are reported to your health care provider via the clinic computer system. The lab does not provide results directly to patients.


Labor and Delivery

How many people can I have in the delivery room?

There is no set number. It differs for each physician and is based primarily on space constraints and any particular labor concerns. Typically, 1-2 people can be with you.

Can I video tape the delivery?

You may video tape staff with permission from the individual provider and staff. You can only video tape the mother from the waist up and the infant. No tripods due to safety concerns.
Are children allowed in the delivery room?
All children 12 years old and under must have an adult attendant other than the labor support person and must attend the Sibling Class. Please contact the Benincaso Birthing Center Clinical Nurse OIC for further information at 0444-61-9150.

What should I bring to the hospital?

For labor bag contents:

  • Calling card
  • Phone numbers and emails of family and friends
  • Slippers
  • Cell phone
  • Focal point (pictures, stuffed animal)
  • Lotion
  • Contact lens or glass case
  • Lip Balm  
  • Clips/bands for hair
  • Hard candy/lollipops for dry mouth
  • Relaxing music CDs and/or DVDs
  • Tennis balls in sock for back labor
  • Digital camera with extra batteries/recharger, film if needed
  • Snacks for coach

For postpartum bag contents:

  • Supportive bras
  • Nursing pads
  • Nightgown/robe
  • Slippers
  • Personal items such as deodorant, make-up, hair brush and dryer (220V)
  • Clothes for mom and baby for going home
  • Car Seat

When do I call or go to the Birthing Center (Benincaso)?

Anytime you have any of the following, call or go to Birthing Center:

  • Watery fluid constantly leaking from the vagina (rupture of bag of water)
  • Bright red bleeding or bleeding heavy enough to soak through your underwear
  • Contractions that are regular and at least five minutes apart for one hour
  • If you are 36 weeks or less pregnant, come in if you have more than six contractions in one hour or severe constant pain.

True labor pains are frequent and come at regular intervals. Women with previous rapid labors or those who live a long way from the hospital should arrange to come in promptly. Women having their first babies seldom need to hurry because their labors usually progress at slower rates. Please make arrangements for care of other children before your due date. Phone the Birthing Center for advice any time you are not sure whether or not you are in labor or if you have any pregnancy related condition which you think might is unusual.



Where do I go if I have a GYN emergency after hours?

Emergency services are available at the Vicenza Hospital (San Bortolo). - The requester should dial 118 (for on-post calls dial 99-118) for an ambulance or - Go directly to the hospital "PRONTO SOCCORSO" (Emergency Room) or call 0444-75-3300 to contact the patient liaison office.

Who do I call after hours if I have an OB concern?

Call the Benincaso Birthing Center @ 0444-61-9150 or 636-9150.

I had a positive pregnancy test at home, what do I do now?

If you have had a positive pregnancy test at home, or would like the lab to do a test for you- come to the OB/GYN clinic to start your OB record, anytime from 0800-1600 Mon- Friday, except Thursday am.  One of the nurses in the clinic will talk with you, have you fill out some paperwork, go to the lab for blood work, the pharmacy for prenatal vitamins and radiology to schedule an ultrasound.  This all takes about 45 minutes- so whenever at your convenience in the first few weeks after you discover you are pregnant.  Your first appointment with an OB provider will be after your ten week ultrasound.

I am pregnant and new here. What do I need to do to see an OB provider?

Come to the OB clinic with your OB records. We will make an OB chart and you will talk with a nurse; then, we will make an appointment for you to see an OB provider.

How do I get an appointment?

  • If you are newly pregnant, come to the OB clinic as listed above.  For follow-up appointments, call 0444-61-9160 or 636-9160.
  • If you need a gynecology specialty appointment, usually your Primary Health Care Provider will put in a gynecology consult. Once this is done, you can make an appointment in the OB/GYN clinic or call 0444-61-9160 or 636-9160.
  • If you need a Well Woman Exam (which includes a PAP test), you can make an appointment with the OB/GYN clinic or call your primary care provider 0444-61-9010 or 636-9010.

I am Active Duty and pregnant. What should I do?

Come to the OB clinic to initiate your OB chart. You will be given a profile, and guidance to see Occupational Health and Health Promotions. References: AR 40-501. Pregnancy/Postpartum PT Program

I think I may have a yeast infection. What should I do?

If you think you have a yeast infection, you can go to the Pharmacy and get an "over the counter" medication such as Monistat G. If this does not work after a couple of days, call and make an appointment with your Primary Health Care Provider. (Reference: "Take Care of Yourself" Guide to Medical Self Care).


Patient Liaison

What does the Patient Liaison Service do?

We provide translation services, coordination of care, and medical oversight for your use of San Bortolo Hospital.

How do I get in contact with the Patient Liaison Service?

Our information booth is located in the main lobby of the San Bortolo Hospital. If you have an appointment to use any of the San Bortolo hospital's services, please check in at our office. We are here to assist you in obtaining your healthcare at the Italian hospital.

You can also reach us by phone: 0444-75-3300

What happens after I use the hospital diagnostic facilities or am discharged from the hospital?

Your lab or testing results will be translated from Italian into English by our native language translators. The results will be placed in your electronic medical record. Our hospitalist physician will coordinate your discharge care by speaking with your primary care physician.


Patient Representative

Can the Patient Representative (PR) change my Health Care Provider (HCP)?

Your PR can assist you in changing your HCP. The people responsible for this are the Medical Service Coordinators located in the TRICARE Enrollment Office (DSN 636-9106, commercial: 0444-61-9106).

Where can I file a complaint?

Complaints can be filled out at the clinic and dropped in the collection boxes placed in each clinic department. Comment cards can also be filled out at the web site listed above. The Patient Representative will be notified automatically of any comments left on the ICE website. Patients can also see the Patient Representative located in Room 1C11 from 0800 to 1630, or call 636-9106(comm. 0444-61-9106). If patient feel that they need to speak to the Commander, they are advised to schedule an appointment with the Commander's secretary. This is done in an effort to avoid any interruption during the meeting and to dedicate time to their concern.

I would like to compliment one of the clinic providers. What should I do?

Compliments and complaints can be listed on the same comment card. The provider's supervisor and the clinic commander will be informed and the provider will be recognized for a job well done during the monthly staff meetings.



What is the difference between a prescription refill and a prescription renewal?

A prescription refill can be requested by calling the Audiocare pharmacy refill line (preferred) or bringing in your prescription bottle to the pharmacy. You do not need to speak to your provider before getting a prescription refilled because he or she has already authorized it. The number of prescription refills is indicated on your prescription label on your bottle. For example, "REF LEFT: 2 of 3" means that the prescription can be refilled 2 more times, out of a total of 3 refills. Prescriptions with no refills left will need to be renewed by your provider. He or she may need to see you in person or speak to you before renewing your prescription, or you may leave a telephone consult, depending on the type of medication. Allow 3 working days for prescription renewals.

I just got a prescription from my Italian physician. Can I get it filled at the Vicenza Health Clinic Pharmacy?

We cannot honor local national prescriptions, due to federal & FDA regulations. If you prefer to have your Italian prescription filled at the Vicenza Health Clinic Pharmacy, you will have to make an appointment with one of the clinic providers who will enter the prescription into our database. Although the exact equivalent is not always available, in many cases your provider can substitute with an equivalent FDA approved product.

What happens if I need a prescription filled after hours?

During after hours clinic (Tuesday and Thursday evenings, and Saturday), the pharmacy is closed. A limited supply of medication is available for patients who see providers during this time, generally for one time or acute needs. Since we do not have a 24-hour pharmacy service, it is wise to keep an adequate supply of chronic medications such as insulin, blood pressure medications on hand at all times.



Do I report to the front desk before a radiology procedure?

No; once the X-ray has been ordered by an authorized provider, you will come straight to radiology.

How do I set up an appointment for procedures not performed at the clinic?

For mammograms, the patient calls Aviano Air Force Base (632-5019/0434-30-5019) to set up his/her own appointment. All other appointments the patient needs to schedule at the TRICARE Service Center after obtaining a request sheet from the radiology department.

Do I need an appointment for X-rays?

No, X-rays are walk in procedures. However, it is required to set up appointments for all other procedures.

How can I request X-rays that were shot at another facility to be sent to the U.S. Army Health Clinic, Vicenza?

Procedures performed by a civilian network provider are automatically sent to our facility for filing. Procedures completed stateside need to be requested by radiology personnel via mail. The requester needs to be a military ID card holder.

How long does it take to get results, and how do I get them?

Most procedures take 48 hours to be interpreted by a radiologist in Landstuhl. The results can be accessed and explained to you by your provider.



How far in advance of deployment can I complete my PDP?

30 Days.

How soon after I return from a deployment should I come to the Readiness Section for my post deployment processing?

Within two weeks after returning.

How long does it take to complete a physical?

The process takes about three weeks.

Why do Ihave to fast for at least 12 hours prior to conducting physical laboratory tests?

Food and liquids may affect the test result.

Will MEDPROS update my AKO Medical Readiness status?

Yes. It takes about 72 hours to update the information.


Social Work

How confidential is my treatment?

Our professionals are obligated to adhere to their professional code of ethics and to HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act), which limits the amount of information they can share without your written consent. Information which does not require a written consent for release includes information relating to any potential for self-harm or harm to others.

How do I make an initial appointment?

You can choose to schedule an appointment through our front desk, or you can walk in for an appointment at any time during our open hours. We are available daily on a walk-in basis during our duty hours.

How do I access care after hours if I am in need of immediate assistance?

You can either contact the MP Desk to speak with an on-call worker or you can go to the San Bortolo Hospital emergency room where a patient liaison will assist with translation services.


Notice of Privacy Practices
Army Wellness Center
Dental Emergency
EDIS (Educational and Developmental Intervention Services)
Educational and Developmental Intervention Services
Hearing Screens
Host Nation Providers
Nutrition Services
Occupational Health
Orthopedic services
Patient Administration and Records
Patient Advocate
Patient Liaison Services
Physical Therapy
Preventive Medicine
Primary Care Clinic
Social Work Services and Behavioral Health
Soldier Medical Readiness
Traumatic Brain Injury
USARAF Travel Clinic